ACCESS offers several specialized maternal health and wellness programs to ensure healthy pregnancies for mothers and improved birth outcomes for babies
Breast milk is the ideal food for newborns and infants. It gives infants the perfect nutrition they need for healthy development and it contains antibodies that help protect infants from common childhood illnesses. Breast milk also helps prevent childhood obesity, asthma and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). Moms who breastfeed experience quicker weight loss after birth and have fewer negative postpartum side effects. ACCESS is proud to provide the following services for pregnant and postpartum moms:
- Breastfeeding education
- Breastfeeding support
- Follow-up breastfeeding services
- Certified Lactation Counselors Services and support are also available for immediate family members.
For more information about breastfeeding services, please call 312.733.0130.
ACCESS has adopted a method of providing prenatal care at select health centers called CenteringPregnancy®, where care is provided in a group setting. The goal of this method is to promote healthy pregnancies through health assessment, interactive learning, and community building. Expectant moms have the choice of participating in a CenteringPregnancy® group or opting for traditional, individual prenatal care.
Benefits of the CenteringPregnancy® model:
- Spend more time with your doctor or midwife – each session is two hours long.
- No waiting. Groups start and end on time.
- Groups are fun and a great way to meet other pregnant women and make new friends.
- No need for separate visits with your provider. You will receive complete prenatal care during each group session.
- Learn the importance of prenatal care and get important advice.
Through the adoption of this method, ACCESS strives to improve the well-being of our pregnant patients, improving their self-image, increasing their self-care skills, and promotes the healthy growth and development of the fetus. This method also decreases infant mortality and maternal morbidity and promotes family development and social support.
For more information about CenteringPregnancy®, please contact 312.526.2216.
Family Case Management
Maternal Child Health Department offers family case management which includes eight case managers who provide education, ongoing support and linkage to medical and social services for low-risk pregnant and parenting women through the child’s first birthday.
For more information about family case management, please call 708.239.8081.
Through a dedicated community outreach team, ACCESS is able to offer health education in the community by providing information in the home on key health issues affecting women:
- Immunizations – The shots you need to keep you healthy
- Money Management
- Nutrition Awareness- Eat this not that!
- Healthy Lifestyle Choices
- Family Planning
- Healthy Pregnancy
- Stress – How to Beat Stress and Stay Calm
For more information on how to attend an upcoming House Party event, please call 312.733.0065.
Title X Family Planning Services
The Title X Family Planning program at ACCESS offers health services for men, women, and youth. Our service include:
- Confidential services for all, including youth
- Physical exams
- Birth control and emergency contraception
- Health education
- Men's health screenings – blood pressure, testicular exams
- Women's health screenings – breast exam, Pap smears
- Sexually transmitted infections (STI) testing and treatment
The Title X Family Planning program is available at these four ACCESS health centers:
ACCESS Addison Family Health Center
1111 Lake Street
Addison, IL 60101
ACCESS Des Plaines Valley Health Center
7450 W. 63rd Street
Summit, IL 60501
ACCESS Martin T. Russo Family Health Center
245 South Gary Avenue
Bloomingdale, IL 60108
ACCESS West Chicago Family Health Center
245 W. Roosevelt, Bldg 14, Suite 150
West Chicago, IL 60185