How to Prepare for an Annual Check-up
May 31, 2019
For many of us, a new year comes with a well-intended resolution to get healthy. While that may mean going to the gym or eating healthy for a lot of us, we also need to remember a yearly check-up with your doctor is just as important. If you are only visiting your doctor when you are sick, you may be shortchanging your health. Learn why a regular check-up is important and 4 steps to help you prepare for your visit.
An annual check-up is important for many reasons
- Helps identify any problems before they become too serious, making treatment more manageable
- Forms a strong relationship with your doctor, so if an issue does arise, you can be more comfortable knowing your provider knows you and your medical history.
- Tracks key measurements like blood pressure, cholesterol and glucose levels over time to help detect early signs of trouble
- Saves you health care costs in the long run
How to prepare
If it has been a few years since your last visit, you may have some questions on how to prepare in advance. According to the CDC, here are 4 easy steps to help you prepare for your appointment:
- Get up-to-date information about family medical history. If your health care provider knows about the different diseases or illnesses you are more susceptible to, he or she can recommend lifestyle changes, look for signs and symptoms of those illnesses, and assess your current risk level of the disease.
- Find out what exams, vaccinations, or tests you should be getting at your age. Make sure all of your vaccinations are up-to-date or ask about which ones you may need.
- Write down any issues or questions you may have. When at an appointment, it is easy to forget something you wanted to ask your provider. Write down any problems you are having and anything you would like to ask during your appointment. This can make sure all your issues are addressed in the same visit.
- Discuss any health or wellness goals. If you want to make lifestyle changes or have long-term concerns about your health, an annual visit with your doctor is a perfect time to get support. This could include long-term goals like losing weight or quitting smoking.
ACCESS offers annual wellness exams for you and your family at all 34 Chicagoland locations.
Make An Appointment