National Nutrition Month Recipe: One Pan Italian Sausage and Vegetables
March 26, 2017
March is National Nutrition Month, an annual celebration of nutrition and the importance of a balanced diet and lifestyle. There’s no better time to begin making more informed food choices and developing better eating and exercise habits.
In this recipe, you will find a quick and easy way to have a balanced, nutritious and delicious meal for your whole family. You can also substitute any of these vegetables for ones that you or your family may prefer, but using the same method.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 2 large carrots
- 2 red potatoes
- 1 small/medium zucchini
- 2 red peppers
- 1 head of broccoli
- 16 ounces Italian Turkey Sausage or Chicken Sausage
- 1/2 tsp. of onion powder, dried thyme
- 4 and 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp. of dried basil, dried oregano, dried parsley, garlic powder (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large sheet pan with foil and set aside.
- Peel and thinly slice the carrots.
- Wash and chop the red potatoes into small pieces.
- Cut the zucchini in half and then cut into thick slices.
- Chop the broccoli.
- Remove the stems and seeds from the peppers and chop into medium-sized pieces.
- Chop the sausage into thick slices.
- Pour all the vegetables and sausage on the sheet pan.
- In a small bowl combine all of the seasonings with the olive oil (add salt and pepper if desired). Stir to combine.
- Pour the seasonings & oil mixture on top of the vegetables and sausage and thoroughly toss to coat.
- Place in a heated oven for 15 minutes. Remove and toss around the vegetables and the sausage and return to the oven for another 10-20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Serve on top of rice if desired.
Celebrate National Nutrition Month by focusing on the importance of food and its role in keeping your body healthy. Schedule an appointment today and ACCESS can help you develop a diet that is right for you. ACCESS also partners with Greater Chicago Food Depository and is committed to fighting hunger in its communities. If you would like to learn more about available food assistance programs, visit the Depository's website. For immediate help, call 773.247.FOOD (3663).